Teacher: Sharon Wu
Phone Number: (626) 934 – 4440 × 4521
Office Hours: during conference nights or by appointment(s)
Overview of Course Semester One:
- Atomic Structure and Theory
- Students will learn that atomic mass is concentrate within the nucleus.
- Students will learn how isotopes contribute to the atomic mass.
- Students will learn how radioactive atoms will decay in nuclear chemistry.
- Students will learn how elements exhibit periodic trends.
- Students will learn how electrons are transferred in ionic bonds.
- Students will learn how electrons are shared in covalent bonds.
- Students will learn how reactions occur by breaking and reforming bonds.
- Students will learn how to calculate chemical quantities.
- Students will learn how matter is conserved.
Overview of Course Semester Two:
- Students will learn about gas laws.
- Students will learn about how heat affects gas motion.
- Students will learn about properties of water.
- Students will learn about how acid affects water qaulity.
- Students will learn about biochemicals and their functions in daily lives.
- Students will learn about how functions of biochemicals in foods.
- supplementary textbook: Chemistry by Prentice Hall
- supplementary textbook: Chemistry by Houghton Mifflin (Chemistry Honors)
- pencils or pens (no red)
- website: www.wu-over-science.com
- website: www.pearsonsuccessnet.com
- Remind: 81010 @kha3e
- positive learning attitude
- Common Core
- Kagen strategies
- Cornell notes
- lab reports
- APA/MLA reports
- oral presentations
- use of technology
- I EXPECT you to have respect for school rules, policies, dress codes, good attendance, and personal integrity.
- I EXPECT you to follow class rules posted to maintain a safe and learning environment.
- I EXPECT you to put in true effort to learn the curriculum.
- I EXPECT you to turn in assigned work on time.
- I EXPECT you to put your name on the assignments before you turn them in.
|assignments||55 %||100 % - 90 %||= A
|tests||30 %||89 % - 80 %||= B
|final||15 %||79 % - 65 %||= C
|64 % - 50 %||= D
|Below 50 %||= F
Makeup Policy for Assignments and Tests:
- You will have the same number of absent days to make up your missing work.
- Late assignments will be accepted for 80% of the original points.
- You may earn back 70% of missing point by correcting an incomplete lab report. (1 x)
- 5 points will be taken off late lab reports. And, you lose your correction privilege.
- Tests need to be made up within 3 days after returning from an absence.
- NO late assignments will be accepted after each grading period.
I, ____________________,the student, understand the above classroom expectations and will follow them at all times.
I, ____________________, the parent/guardian, have read the above classroom expectations and have gone through them with my child. I will support all the teacher's expectations and be an active member in my child's learning.
- I will log into Aeries every week to check on the class progress.
- I will supervise my child for 20 minutes each day to do/review his/her assignments.