- barium chloride, BaCl2
- lithium chloride, LiCl
- potassium chloride, KCl
- sodium chloride, NaCl
- diffraction grating
- methyl alcohol
- spectrum lamp
- watch dish
- spectrum tube, Ar
- spectrum tube, H2
- spectrum tube, He
- spectrum tube, Ne
- Add one spatula of each of the chlorides into four (4) separate watch dishes.
- Add10 mL of methyl alcohol into each watch dish.
- Turn down the lights, and light the alcohol/salt mixture in each dish.
- Observe and record the color in each dish.
- Place an Ar spectrum tube in the spectrum lamp.
- Turn on the lamp and use a diffraction grating to observe the light.
- Draw the light spectra produced.
- Do the same for the other gas tubes.
1. Calculate the wavelength of the yellow light emitted by the sodium lamp if the frequency of the radiation is 5.10 × 1014 Hz (5.10 × 1014/s). ???
2. Arrange the following in order of decreasing wavelength? ???
a. infrared radiation from a heat lamp
b. dental X-rays
c. signal from a shortwave radio station
3. Answer the following questions:
a. What is the valence electron configuration of Sr? ???
b. What is the valence electron configuration of S? ???
c. Which element has the valence electron configuration of 4s24p5? ???
Chemistry in September