Organic compounds are compounds formed from carbon atoms, the most abundant element on earth. A carbon atom has four (4) valence electrons. A carbon atom always form four (4) nonpolar covalent bonds. This characteristic allows carbon atoms to form multiple bonds of chains and rings. This versatility allows organic compounds to polymerize or join its smaller monomer units to form larger molecules of polymers.
1. What is the degree of the angle formed by any C–H bond in a Methane model? ???
2. What is the name of the shape of a Methane molecule? ???
3. In the Ethane model, what happens when you rotate one of the carbon atoms? What about Propane????
4. Can there be more than one arrangement for the Butane molecule? ???
5. Are there more than one conformations of a Cyclohexane molecule? Explain. ???
6. What is the molecular shape of the Ethene model? Why? ???
7. What is the correct IUPAC name for the molecule in #4?
8. Do #40 and #46 on pg. 719 in Prentice Hall
How to do this assignment?
Chemistry in March