Heat of Fusion (ΔHfus) of Ice
- beaker tongs
- crushed ice
- mortar and pestle
- Put on goggles and apron.
- Add crushed ice to the beaker. (up to 150-mL mark)
- Place the beaker on the hot plate and turn hot plate on to medium heat.
- Take the temperature of the slush every 30 second until it completely melts to water.
- Continue to take temperature for another 3 minutes at 30-second intervals, while the water is still boiling on hot plate.
- Construct a data table.
- Use the data table to make a graph, Temperature (oC) against Time (30 sec.).
Data & Graph
1. According to your data, at what temperature did it change from a solid to a liquid? ???
2. According to your data, at what temperature did it change from a liquid to a gas? ???
3. Does this match with what we know about the melting and boiling points of water? Explain ???
4. Describe the graph. ???
5. What is the difference between a physical and a chemical change? ???
How to write a lab report?
Chemistry in January