Leftover Aluminum Wire
- aluminum wire, Al
- beaker tongs
- copper (II) chloride, CuCl2•2H2O
- distilled water
- evaporating dish
- hot plate
- paper towel
- tap water
- test tube
- test tube holder
- test tube rack
- Measure and record the mass of the evaporating dish and make a mark.
- Pour 200 mL of tap water in a beaker.
- Boil the tap water on hot plate, then turn down the heat.
- Measure and record 0.5 g of copper (II) chloride, CuCl2•2H2O.
- Place CuCl2•2H2O crystals in a test tube.
- Add 10 mL of distilled water to dissolve the crystals.
- Measure and record the mass of Al wire.
- Use tweezers to lower the aluminum wire into the test tube containing the CuCl2•2H2O solution. (The wire will extend beyond the height of the tube.)
- Place the test tube into the boiling water bath for approximately 5 ~ 10 minutes. (The reaction is complete when the solution becomes colorless.)
- Make sure the solution in the test tube does not overflow by lower the temperature of the water bath.
- Use tweezers to remove the wire from the test tube. (Do not disturb the copper on the wire.)
- Use the spoon to scrape as much solid copper as possible from the aluminum wire into the evaporating dish.
- Turn in the marked evaporating dish
- Rinse and dry the aluminum wire.
- Measure and record the “leftover” mass of the aluminum wire.
- Throw away the Al wire
- Clean Up!
- Allow the solid copper in the evaporating dish to dry overnight. (The copper will slightly oxidize and change color to green or dark brown.)
- Measure and record the mass of the dry copper.
- Throw away the Cu powder
|mass of CuCl2•2H2O (g)
|mass of Al wire (g)
|mass of “leftover” Al wire (g)
|mass of Al reacted (g)
|mass of evaporating dish + dry copper (g)
|mass of evaporating dish (g)
|mass of dry copper (g)
|moles of CuCl2•H2O
||moles of Al that should react
|mass of Al that should react (g)
|percent error for reacted Al
|predicted mass of dry copper (g)
|percent yield of recovered copper
1. What type of reaction is this? ???
2. Write the balanced chemical equation for the reaction between aluminum wire and copper(II) chloride solution. ???
3. Which substance is the limiting reactant and which is the excess? (show calculations and all work.) ???
4. Balance and identify redox equation for this chemical reaction.
How to do this assignment?
Chemistry in December